Sunday, January 26, 2014

Just for the Yin & the Yang of It...A Mug Rug Set

I Almost Forgot to Post These!

Earlier last year, I started taking Yoga at a wonderful studio in Vancouver, WA. Walking into Shanti (peace) was like coming home to myself, for not only is its staff warm and welcoming, they also provide opportunities to explore your soul purpose, in addition to teaching you how to use your breath to support, understand, and move your body in ways that support you physically and emotionally. I started Yoga on my Dr.'s recommendation to help with chronic low back pain, and it has been immensely helpful.

My experiences at Shanti were a good reminder of Yin and Yang. As I've known and accepted for a long time, life is a field of opposites, both light and dark, and they complement each other. "They are essential to life," as my meditation teacher says and "Life is a dance of light and dark." From darkness comes illumination if we are willing to look for it. The ancient Yin and Yang are symbols for this, and are typically drawn with a circle of the opposite color in the "head" of the paisley motif, showing that light and dark are within each other. Because the two are identically shaped, they nestle into each other, completing the circle of life. For me they are a symbol of learning to be at peace with all that life offers up.
The Yin and the Yang of It Quilted Mug Rugs

For Valentine's day, I substituted a heart in each one, signifying the importance of learning to love all of life--the light and the dark! Then your soul finds peace. As quilted mug rugs, they made the perfect gift for my Yoga instructor, who at the tender age of 35 is one of the wisest women I know! She has blessed me with her powerful presence, her love, and her compassion and continues to do so every week. Blessings to you, dear Heather!

The mug rugs are super easy to sew since there are only two simple shapes to applique with fusible web. I did simple rows of quilting around the shapes, letting them run off the edge as necessary. Sized at just 6" x 9" each, the mug rugs take minimal fabric. You can use them as small wall hangings, too. I'm happy that others like my design--in the past two days, I've sold two of the PDF downloadable patterns for this design in my Craftsy pattern store: http://www.craftsy.com/user/153303/pattern-store

Be sure to check out the other PDF patterns in my Craftsy store. There are mug rugs for many seasons and reasons, plus placemats, table runners, quilts, and tote bags--over 75 in all! Have fun shopping!

Until next time,
Keep on sewing and smiling!
Barbara

No comments: